Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chipping Away


I've really committed to practicing more and better these past few weeks. That great book I read really clarified the *hard work* foundation of success. For more it, read the end of this post.

I've been hitting the range a couple of times per week and I've been using Dave Pelz's putting track several times per week.

AND I'm trying to diligently articulate my swing thoughts here.

So my recent break-through was hitting it high...

I played twice in the past week and also hit the range twice. Unfortunately I haven't been able to regain my insight; I hit the ball OK and high at times. Though I've clearly got a lot of work left to do if I think I'm ever going to *taste* elusive consistency.

One newer thing I addressed was the position of my hands heading into impact. Us wristy casters all have the same weak position at impact, i.e. club pre-released.

So I was just making sure my hands were ahead of the ball at impact. I did this by simulating a *stop* of my hands just beyond the ball. It had the effect of slowing down my downswing, delaying the hit so-to-speak, and, best of all, of making my ball striking purer.

It increased my trajectory and pushed my divot out closer to where it's supposed to be - ahead of the ball.

So in my tinkering I got ball high like I wanted but did so in a much different way. This didn't feel good at all. It felt *handsy* - the opposite of what I want - no matter the result.

I also goofed around with standing further from the ball - particularly on my driver. A while back I tried this with great success and thought I *finally had it*!

And I experimented with moving my hands both higher and further ahead at address. Sometimes I was able to hit the ball really solid doing this.

No comments: