Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Higher Than Ever - My Trajectory



On days I play golf, before I go to sleep I always think over my round and count *good* shots.

So what's a good shot?

Well, anything solid and straight - no matter the outcome. Even putts can count.

I usually dump about 7-15 shots into this mental category after each outing.

Scoring, as we all know, is something else.

I've been in a serious scoring slump for the past 8 weeks or so. But curiously, my confidence is at an all time high.

You see, I've made some wholesale swing changes, some swing *realizations* that I'm trying to adopt. Hence the erratic play I've been offering up.

This past Saturday was a perfect example. I had Xs on the two of ther first three holes (triples or whatever) and a couple of *foul* tee shots later on. Still, I went home very excited about my play because I made two terrific birdies and hit a handful of tremendous shots in between duffs.

I think I've finally discovered the source of my consistent inconsistency. And I owe it all to this blog. As I was writing a previous post, it hit me that I let the club float in my hands, I basically let it go at the top of my backswing....ON EVERY SINGLE SHOT, putts included.

So I've been working on swinging with the deadest possible wrists with great success. [This feels, to me, like an intense squeezing at the top of the backswing.]

My course has five par-3s, four of which are very difficult, very penal.

For 20 years I've been either pushing or pulling mid to long irons. I knew I sucked with those clubs, but was unaware of the extent. After all, they are the toughest clubs in the bag to swing, right?

Turns out, my flippy wrists were not only adding irremediable inconsistency to these shots, they were DELOFTING the club. Maybe if I had only played with scratch golfers I would have been more conscious of how low my trajectory was?

Anyways, with my new swing, I have been able to positively SKYROCKET these longer irons, once in a while.

I hit a few last Saturday, two 4-irons and one 6 iron, so well, that I've been thinking about my epiphany all week. The 6-iron was so tight, so solid that a hefty crosswind didn't budge it even though it went extremely high. (That was one of my birdies.)

We see what happens next time out.

BTW, I've been using my Dave Pelz Putting Track a few times a week and it's helping.

No comments: