Thursday, July 17, 2008

Long Island National

Somebody told me about this new course - Long Island National - nearby in Riverhead, NY. As much as I like Montauk Downs, I figured I'd give it a try. The first tee time was empty on Wednesday, so I raced down early in an effort to get out there first (and alone).

I was there before the pro shop attendant; and even before the sun.







I played lightning fast and pretty darn well, carding a 76 from the gold tees (6,238 yards, par 71, slope 126).

The course was pretty nice. As good as Montauk Downs? Almost. It's greens were truer, probably because it gets less play. It cost $89 (cart included) which is identical to Montauk now that I no longer get the massive NY State Resident discount.

Since it's a littler closer, the same price, and takes tee times, I think I am going to lean towards Long Island National from now on when I am in Southampton.

On the web, one review of this course said that it was expensive - $127 to play. Apparently, they drastically lowered their rates last year. Why is that?

Well, golf is a no-growth sport. People try it out; suck at it; get frustrated; and let their clubs rust in the garage. Then, about 20 years later, they try to sell their outdated sticks at a yard sale.

1 comment:

Paul Mitchell said...

Bite your tongue about letting them rust. At least once a year I pull my Hogan Apex irons out and go to the range. As a matter of fact, I took my Lynx Masters to the range last week to try to remember what an R shaft feels like. Uh, not good, by the way.