Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My New Favorite Player - Aaron Baddeley



I am no bandwagoneer. I have been watching Aaron's smooth swing for the past couple of years. I typically DVR the golf and fast forward to only watch a select few players swing and putt: Tiger, Mickelson, Vijay, and Baddeley. I have been cooling it a little with Vijay as he has gotten older and more slap-happy.

Of course Baddeley burst on the scene with Adam Scott a few years ago. They were supposed to challenge Tiger. It took a few bumps but both of them have started to live up to the earlier hype.

Watch the video.



Now on to Aaron's swing. I was shocked to hear (in the above video) that Aaron doesn't "transfer his weight". I have to think about that some more.

Coincidentally, I have been trying to shorten my swing and wrist cock so Aaron's "bunts" prove that one can successfully play taking half swings.

Tiger actually has a very short swing as well - I mean very short wrist cock. It's just that he turns his back so much that the club ends up pointing down the line at the top of his swing anyway.

Sometimes analyzing these guys' swings doesn't help. If they all had the same exact swing it would simplify things. Pretty much, whatever your bad habit or quirk, there is some pro getting away with it and making money.

Watch the video below to see the different angle of Rory Sabbatini's left arm at the top of his backswing. Instead of pointing "flatly" like Aaron's, his arm is pointing almost straight up into the sky.



There's no way Rory's loopy swing will hold up over time.

Oh wait, I forget about Jim Furyk and his long, fruitful career.

No comments: