Thursday, August 19, 2010

Stiff-Necked?



Shoot!

You know I messed up my back and neck pretty badly in a 1999 car accident? I even had invasive surgery to address the injury.

If golfers need to be able to turn their necks 110 degrees to become proficient, that might explain why my game hasn't progressed to where I think it should be after 20 years and a bazillion swings. I can probably only turn my neck 60 degrees, at best, in each direction!

These Somax guys sound good - but a little over the top. Perhaps I've just grown too cynical. After all, $350 an hour to release *micro-fibers*? That is what they are selling.

Yoga has helped my back more than anything so I am willing to push the envelope and dig deeper for non-pharma, non-doctor approved remedies.

One thing I just found is a book that might be down the same track as the $350/hour Somax microfiber reduction remedy.

With 4.5 stars on Amazon.com, I am definitely going to order it.

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide For Pain Relief

Ha! Even better, I just found the book on my library network and reserved it!

3 comments:

djsslp said...

Are you still blogging? If so, I have studied this Somax thing and I see merit in it. It has helped me greatly! I see little clues here and there that it is about the hips and separation. Would love to write to you more about what I have learned. I don't have an est handicap but I shoot in the low 80's...gotten close to breaking it, though. Putting kills me! Interesting blogs...keep it up.

djsslp

CaptiousNut said...

Well then you are like me. I pound the ball off the tee but my short game stinks leaving me mired in the low 80s. My new focus is wedges, chipping, and putting.

I just read Dave Stockton's book, and both of Dave Pelz's books. The latter I HIGHLY recommend.

In 2 months of reading and practicing my short game has made huge strides already.

As for the Somax guy....I have moved my hands out and up at address, near the plane and am finally able to swing while keeping my spine angle constant. AND I'm finally able to concentrate on keeping my head still without introducing disastrous tension.

The more I think about it, *standing up* is THE problem in golf, no?

And stretching the arms out at address is the way to combat it, no?

Get Pelz's Short Game Bible first. Your library might have it (along with the Putting Bible).

Blogging resumes in a week or so. I took the summer off.

Send me (or upload to YouTube) a video of your swing and/or putting stroke if you want.

CaptiousNut said...

Also, I moved my golf posts, scant that they are, over to my main blog:

golf posts