Sunday, June 28, 2009

Point Sebago Golf - Maine



It's not bad. Point Sebago's golf course is ranked the best in Southern Maine according to Golf Digest.

I played the track four full times last week (3 eighteens and 2 nines) while *camping* there with my family.

It was completely underwater except for the greens which were surprisingly in good shape. So the 6,500 yards played rather long; and it was a tough slog with *cart path only*. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed my lonesome playing. That's right, I was the only one on the course most of the time. I didn't play one hole with another golfer; heck, I only played through one group all week. THIS is how golf is meant to be played!

As I said, the course played long from the incessant rain. Future readers take note that the past 5 weeks New England hasn't seen the sun more than a handful of times. Present-day readers know EXACTLY what I'm talking about - and they may never forget this horrible season.

The course was so long that it was extremely rare for me to pull less than a 7-iron out for my approach.

Nonetheless, my first round there was one of my all-time best. Having never played it before, and in those sloppy conditions, I shot 77.

My second round was *back to reality* - 88. Then I shot 81 and lastly 85.

By the end of the week I was fully spent and found myself aiming for the rough next to the cart path! I hadn't played 5 times in 6 days in probably 10 years.

I did plenty of tinkering, some successful, some otherwise, with my swing last week. I'll catalog my *thoughts* on my next post.

No comments: